Concessions – What you should know

If you have a child in grade 4 to 12, then you will know that this time of the year is filled with angst and worry. The formal examinations are upon us and unfortunately it can turn some of the calmest households into battlefields.

As parents we are there in trenches with our offspring. Helping with schedules and study calendars and flash cards and making sure they’re eating well. Sadly though, we cannot write these exams for them and they will have to brave this on their own. But what if your child has a barrier to learning?

Concessions or accommodations are made available to learners who have been identified, as per the WCED

Here’s what you should know:

In order to qualify for a concession or accommodation learners need to have been assessed and to show at least average intellectual ability and a significant long-term learning disability, which will compromise examination performance.

The following concessions can be applied for during examinations:

  • Extra time
  • A prompter
  • A scribe (someone to write down their answers)
  • A reader (someone to read the exam paper for them)
  • Amanuensis (A person who reads and scribes for the learner)
  • Spelling concessions
  • Handwriting concessions (for learners who suffer from Dysgraphia)
  • Braille
  • Enlarged print
  • Use of a computer
  • Permission to take food / medication during the examination
  • Practical assistant
  • Rest breaks
  • Separate venue
  • Permission to use special equipment

The following documents need to be submitted in application of concessions and accommodations:

  • A recent, full-psycho educational assessment report
  • Relevant medical reports
  • Supporting historical evidence (such as previous assessment reports, progress reports as well as Occupational Therapy reports, Speech Therapy reports, Physiotherapy reports, etc)
  • Teacher comments (detailed observations by the teacher about how the learner is coping in class as well as whether the teacher is in favour of the concession or accommodation for the learner) School reports as well as samples of work done at school.

Keep in mind though that the final decision to grant the concessions or accommodations lies with the education department.

Do you have a child with a learning barrier? Message us below, and we will get in contact with you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2023 Gillian Adonis Speech Therapy. All Rights Reserved